[x3d-public] Multi-user cross-3D authoring systems—Metaverse

Leonard Daly web3d at realism.com
Wed Dec 21 12:19:47 PST 2022

John,

NVIDIA's system is Omniverse (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/omniverse/).
It is built on top of USD
(https://graphics.pixar.com/usd/release/index.html). Omniverse is not a
file format, but an API. It supports everything you probably want in an
authoring system for layers, revision history, etc. It does not have its
own content creation tools, but uses connectors to push/pull data to a
large number of DCC tools.

Leonard Daly

On 12/21/2022 11:57 AM, John Carlson wrote:
> I am interested in multi-user 3D authoring systems.   I know that
> NetBeans had a module/package back in the day, but I don’t know of any
> current efforts at reviving this.   I know that NVIDIA has their
> service.  Can we enhance the Metaverse to do cross-authoring?   Is
> there an open protocol we can all use? SAI?
>
> I would be willing to port my authoring tool to such a system.
>
> My system use a kind of SQL/REST protocol messaging system that I
> would like to replace.
>
> I have also used the protocol successfully with solitaire.   On a
> single system.
>
> Is anyone interested?   I guess I’m ready to start extending X3DJSAIL
> and my visual tool.
>
> Thanks!

*Leonard Daly* President, Daly Realism - /Creating the Future/ Khronos
3D Project Manager Electronic Services, LA ACM SIGGRAPH