[x3d-public] Multi-user cross-3D authoring systems—Metaverse

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 15:59:32 PST 2022

Thanks for the introduction to Omniverse, Leonard, I have been studying it
a bit, but i had to catch up on sleep.  X3DJSAIL is also an API, and could
be used to add, remove, set and get nodes and fields in a database or
network payload. My Multi-user authoring network protocol (Impact3D-lircom)
is a lot like SQL, with insert, update, delete and selects (sadly, no drop
or create) over a network.  Also REST is also SQL-like, with GET, POST,
PUT, DELETE.   I hope you understand the analogy i am drawing.  I do not
know Omniverse’s protocols.

The idea i had was to use a Java API with X3D payloads/parameters.  IOW,
SAI/X3DJSAIL.

I don’t know if Omniverse has a Java SDK.   Do you?

I’m having some issues with my build environment, (finding
classes/packages, missing jars), but i had Impact3D working today before i
tried to add X3DJSAIL.

It sounds like Omniverse is a lot like Git or a configuration management
system.

Can we resurrect NetBeans multiuser, or is it a security risk?  How is the
Metaverse going to provide security?  Capabilities (like google doc Urls)
or sessions?  Are there other choices?  Can we decentralize security?

My overall project also allows for boolean visibility, like solitaire cards
shared amongst people.

So we have a lot of ideas for protocols APIs here.  What should be
standardized for the Metaverse?  What Multiuser DCC tools can be used
within the Metaverse today?  Does the app make it multiuser, or does
Omniverse

Is there open documentation for Omniverse?

Thanks!

John