[x3d-public] X3D meeting minutes 4 FEB 2022: Rigid Body Physics review and updates deployed, Projects Wish List

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Feb 4 20:00:20 PST 2022

Attendees: John Carlson, Vince Marchetti, Nicholas Polys, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman.  Regrets: Anita Havele.

  1.  Completed X3D4 Rigid Body Physics component review.  All Mantis issues updated and resolved.  Latest modifications highlighted via CSS with corresponding Mantis issues documented using /title/ attributes.

  *   X3D4 Architecture, clause 37 Rigid body physics component
  *   https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1/Part01/components/rigidBodyPhysics.html

Changes potentially affecting players, tools and model validation:

  *   Defaults for all axis fields changed to non-zero values so that default operation of a node is enabled, rather than locking rotations.
  *   Some field naming consistencies resolved.

Following unit testing, deployed updates to multiple X3D4 supporting codebases and data assets.

  1.  X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM)
     *   The X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM) is a full set of object-oriented interfaces for all nodes, fields and statements in the X3D Architecture Specification.
     *   https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3DUOM.html
  2.  X3D Java Scene Access Interface Library (X3DJSAIL)
     *   X3DJSAIL supports programmers with standards-based X3D Java interfaces and objects, all as open source.
     *   https://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/X3DJSAIL.html
  3.  X3D Python Scene Access Interface Library (X3DPSAIL), X3D Python Package
     *   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/python/python.html
     *   https://pypi.org/project/x3d
  4.  X3D Ontology
     *   The X3D Ontology for Semantic Web provides terms of reference for semantic query of X3D models.
     *   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/semantics/semantics.html
  5.  X3D Tooltips
     *   X3D Tooltips provide authoring hints for each node and field found in X3D Architecture Specification version 4 draft.
     *   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/tooltips/X3dTooltips.html
  6.  X3dTidy.xslt stylesheet for Scene Cleanup, Corrections and Modifications
     *   X3D Tidy is an XSLT stylesheet that checks for simple authoring difficulties in X3D scenes and fixes them.
     *   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/X3dTidy.html

Knocking out 20 Mantis issues this week was good!  No major issues remain, about 160 editorial issues left...  Dick and I are pressing on.

     *   Web3D Consortium Mantis Issue Tracker
     *   https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

  1.  John described his work with C++ etc.  Numerous points of  interest, thread continues there.

  *   http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2022-February/016653.html

Some methods require special design but no name collisions with reserved language words yet. Have some workarounds for method naming in Java and Python that might pertain, this can help.

Example collision: FontStyle has a style field (PLAIN BOLD ITALIC BOLDITALIC) which require some special handling.  Ironic that our styling node is somewhat black-holed here.  An option is to rename it (e.g. style -> typographyTerm), but that would require a major attention to conversions.  Deferred, probably v4.1 issue, but necessary to consider when crafting X3D4 content.

  1.  We continued refinement and improvement of Web3D Projects Wish List.  Good improvements continue (html layout on server will need to be fixed tho).

  *   https://www.web3d.org/projects/wish-list

No member-only information included on this page.

Hope everybody has another great week.  Have fun with X3D!

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149
X3D graphics, virtual worlds, Navy robotics https:// faculty.nps.edu/brutzman