[x3d-public] X3D meeting agenda 18 FEB 2022: SpotLight angles, Volume Rendering component

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 07:59:35 PST 2022

Thanks, I'll join this Friday!

As for goals, my quick answers to SpotLight issues:

> is figure OK?

Yes.

> Is relationship correct, typically beamWidth <= cutoffAngle.

Depends on how you define "typically". Both beamWidth <= cutoffAngle.
and beamWidth > cutoffAngle make sense, they make sense for authors
(and real-world) and existing SpotLight prose and equations explicitly
make both situations sensible. Use beamWidth < cutoffAngle if you want
smooth spot edges, use beamWidth >= cutoffAngle if you want sharp spot
edges -- both make sense.

> Should we modify default values?

Yes.

The current defaults (in X3D 3.3 and 4.0) are weird IMHO (cutOffAngle
= pi / 2 is too large, no other software has so large default).

The defaults in VRML 97, X3D 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2  were better.
cutOffAngle = pi / 4 makes most sense. And is consistent with
outerConeAngle in glTF.

So we have a choice:

A. keep the new X3D 3.3 / 4.0 defaults (that are IMHO bad)

B. revert to defaults in VRML 97, X3D 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 (best option
IMHO, and likely matches already what X3D browsers are doing -- does
anyone have report which browsers actually adjusted to X3D 3.3
defaults?)

C. invent completely new defaults. Like cutOffAngle = pi / 4 and
beamWidth = pi / 8 or 0.

Note that existing software/formats have various defaults in general
for this (see my mail in thread
https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2022-February/016744.html
where I list glTF, Blender, Unity), and even slightly different way of
smoothing. So I don't see much benefit in doing C. I think B is the
simplest and correct resolution :)

> Should we improve prose for clarity?

No, the prose is good. Both prose and equation are good, prose even
explicitly says beamWidth may be > cutOffAngle in which case there's a
sharp edge to spot.

Looking at Mantis ticket
https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=441

- Someone made wrong assumption "Thus default values need to have
cutOffAngle > beamWidth." . Why? They don't need to. We had
cutOffAngle = pi/4 and beamWidth=pi/2 for a long time, implemented by
many VRML/X3D browsers, this was actually good.

- Then someone made wrong action to fix it, exchanging cutOffAngle and
beamWidth defaults. Even if you really want cutOffAngle > beamWidth as
default, then you should have decreased beamWidth, but not change
cutOffAngle IMHO.

> Nicholas and Michalis: please comment on following issues:

Sorry, I admit I didn't have time to look at Volume Rendering component yet.

Regards,
Michalis

śr., 16 lut 2022 o 05:53 Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV)