[x3d-public] Future of 3D software and software in general.

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 08:23:55 PDT 2022

TLDR;

We are seeing with DALL-E 2 and Parti the variety of choices a person has
when selecting the image that visualizes a piece of text.  We are also
seeing things like Copilot and Codex provide options for people to
implement functionality.

I believe this trend will continue so we will see personalization or more
tailored options for the video, game and 3D software business.

Instead of providing monolithic software, I see more options arising for
producing unique videos (I've been seeing too many canned videos on
YouTube).   People will be able to search through custom on the fly
produced video with text or scripts.

The game industry has a few engines for building lots of games. What I see
is, there will arise game meta-engines, you'll be able to produce a unique
game engine.

3D software will also become more malleable.  There won't be massive 3D
standards.  Each developer will have their own standard, derived from a
team standard.

Above all, there will be a continuing need to transfer assets and scripts
between individualized 3D software.  This means things like compilers and
things like XSLT will also flourish.  Everyone will have their own
customized compiler.

Yes, there will be a few big software houses for people who need help.

I don't think the cry for standards will be as great.

I see that movies, games, 3D software, and video all merging into a single
business.

Who will become the meta-Disney, the meta-Adobe, the meta-AutoCAD, the
meta-Unreal?  Is this where Meta the company is headed?  Is software
already there?  Will we ever have self-hosting 3D software, for example?

Will the software also review itself? IDK!

I think this is a more reasonable outcome than any VRChat or virtual
world.  Yes there will be social silos. There will also always be software
diversity.