[x3d-public] Converting compilers (programs) to specifications

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 21:36:19 PDT 2022

So what if we could translate a programming language to a
specification language, like one of:   Specification language - Wikipedia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specification_language>, not unlike how we
convert programs to UML or SysML?

Would this mean translating a language compiler to a specification?

If a compiler is a program, does that mean we would be translating an
arbitrary program to a specification?

Can we use a compiler to translate a program to a specification, or an IR
to a specification?

Do we want to do that?

Feel free to forward for feedback.

Caveat:  I'm only familiar with UML and a bit of SysML.  I've read a tiny
bit of Z notation - Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_notation>.
As I've mentioned before, this was standardized by ISO in 2002.  I think I
have a different approach, which is targeting Z notation for a compiler,
instead of starting with Z notation.

I'm guessing we would get a huge blob of uninteresting stuff.

John Carlson