[x3d-public] Basis-Spline (B-Spline) Volumes and Basis-Spline Fluids in X3D

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sun May 29 15:23:19 PDT 2022

> We may have these in the X3D standard.  I know we have NURBS, but I'm
> unsure of implementations (Vince?) or other subdivision surfaces.
>

> NURBS surface

Doo-Sabin subdivison surface

Catmull-Clark subdivision surface

The question becomes, in X3D, do we have these for higher dimensions--
Volumes and Fluids?.  I'm thinking of doing the jiggly jello thing with
BSpline or Curve Interpolators (Velocity and Acceleration Interpolators?).
(Think of a FTL spaceship breaking up in time (jiggling backwards and
forwards in time).

I tried looking at NURBS for these, but I haven't quite grokked it yet.

Think of a fireplace with animated volume rendering perhaps!

Are such things real-time yet?  I remember taking 2 hours for a single
256x256 image with one parametric object in it (ray tracing).

Sophisticated fluid mechanics model is on a roll | Rice News | News and
Media Relations | Rice University
<https://news.rice.edu/news/2022/sophisticated-fluid-mechanics-model-roll>

Thanks!