[x3d-public] Google maps 3D (size) in VRML format (.wrl) textfile, for instance for London?

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Mon Oct 24 17:57:26 PDT 2022

Hi Daniel,

My very rough calculation would go something like

BuildingSIze = 100B + (50B/face * #-faces)

Where 100B is a WAG on the number of bytes needed for the face
definition (Transform, etc.). As the number of faces of a building
grows, this number doesn't matter.

50B/face assumes 3-4 vertices per face and includes the space required
by the vertex definition and index referencing (thinking of
IndexFaceSet). Some space would be saved by using one of the Triangle*
nodes.

#-faces is really how finely you want to model the building. If every
building is a rectangle, there there are 5 faces. If you want to model
sloped roofs or other architectural features, it will be more. If you
need higher resolution to show windows, doors, or curved surfaces, it
will be a lot more.

I am not familiar with the sizes or dimensions of "Greater London Zone
1-6". A quick google search indicates that looks like it means a
diameter of 2-32 miles. Using this scale at Zone 1, each pixel (assuming
2000 pixels across) is ~1m. This means that buildings would be modeled
rather coarsely. If there are 20 faces per building (complete guess),
that means each building takes ~1KB. If the footprint of each building
averaged 100m^2, that give 800 buildings on a 3.2km circle (assuming
dense pack of buildings - i.e., no roads). That is about 1MB.

If you keep all of the detail as you go through each zone, then Zone 6
is 16x^2 bigger giving a total size of ~250MB.

It may not be possible to handle the display in any reasonable time. You
may need to break things up into smaller blocks. 3D Tiles (and its
successor 3D Tiles Next) both support Hierarchical Level Of Detail
(HLOD). These allow the display of the entire globe at whatever detail
you desire. Those systems do not use X3D/VRML, but glTF as the leaf
nodes. X3D does import glTF, but I do not believe that it intrinsically
supports an HLOD system.

Leonard Daly