[x3d-public] X3D minutes 16 SEP 2022: Mantis issues, X3D-glTF comparison, Web3D Roadmap, X3D Web Stack diagrams (revised)

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Sep 21 07:23:40 PDT 2022

Apologies, my mail server had problems last Friday and dropped the more
detailed minutes we had been working on.  Here are some slight improvements.

Attendees: John Carlson, Anita Havele, Nicholas Polys, Dick Puk, Doug
Sanden, Don Brutzman

Mantis issues 1400, 1401 (see agenda below): more improvement to prose, note
SVG purpose/scoping, Dick and Don to follow up on ballotability of our Web3D
comments with ISO and INCITS.

Roadmap improvements:

a.	Split out Tools as separate row, note Blender etc. has some support
and all need X3D4 updates
b.	X3D4.1 goes to last row, MAR is draft/future, relates to SC24 work
c.	X3D4 compressed geometry not yet updated, some experimental nodes in
X3DOM implementing SRC geometry proposal by Fraunhofer, area of future work
to further align with glTF binary, note Draco compression extension, note
use of "image" files to pass compressed geometry.

Good improvements, further alignment needed, review updates next week.
Updates still needed to match recent ISO SC44 annual meeting.   Not yet
ready to share.

3. Web Stack diagrams.  Complex, various, we will keep pushing this around.

Doug noted Web Assembly might fit in.  John has pointed out that programmer
interfaces can be use by multiple people.  Possibly listing ECMAScript and
CSS in the Web stack might help us account for the great variability that
exists here.

Might be able to split into Web Applications and Standalone Applications for
clarity.

Plenty to think about. more discussion and refinement.

I don't think there will be any one unification here, there are many ways of
doing things.  However some best-practice patterns may emerge such as
plain-old-html embedding with X_ITE/X3DOM, Web3DUX, standalone applications,
etc.

4.  Metaverse Standards Forum has had lots of excellent activity.  We
continue participating and are getting good insights, further we are
communicating our approach as laid out in our meetings.

*	Metaverse Standards Forum
*	https://metaverse-standards.org

Anita notes that even more opportunities to engage and discuss and represent
are available for Web3D members.  Please contact her if you are interested.
This is a major opportunity and major member value!

5. Metaverse Standards Forum Registry is particularly interesting.  There
was a presentation on ISO Standards Registry, we will share when available.

6. Don traveling next two Fridays. possibly able to dial in next week.
Discussion is always worthwhile so we will keep the meetings active.  Also
(of course) let's keep working via email.

7.  Nicholas notes that these are exciting times!  This is at least round
three or four for us. it is great to be able to "tell our story" to so many
companies and organizations and individuals.

Have fun with X3D!  8)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, Navy robotics https://
faculty.nps.edu/brutzman