[x3d-public] What does it mean to program in the Metaverse?

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 19:09:09 PDT 2022

More on Don's attachment.

<h1>Manipulation</h1>
Model/Shape Manipulation:  Blender et al
Scene Manipulation: ?
World Manipulation: ?
Program Manipulation: NetBeans et al
Data/EncodedFile Manipulation Languages: Translator's Workbench (TWB)[2D
GUI], SQL [Text], this proposal
Converter Manipulation: Vim, NetBeans, XMLSpy, MapForce?
Converters (conversion interpreters): Translator's Engine, Saxon.  (Note,
an option for Translator's Engine was to produce native code).  A seminal
feature was to convert a program to/from a document.

What I'm proposing is a project which includes Program+Data Manipulation.
We map something like XSLT instructions to a visual metaphor.  We conceive
of visual data structures we want to manipulate, like hierarchies,
documents (scenes), streams, tables, programs, images, signals, movies.
But primarily, Scenes in different encodings and bindings, including visual
bindings (Cosmo *)

Possible paths forward are:
TWB/TE:  http://www.dsmforum.org/events/DSVL01/carlson.pdf  SmallStar:
http://acypher.com/wwid/Chapters/05SmallStar.html
SMARTedit: https://ofb.net/~tlau/research/smartedit/

but none of these are 3D graphics.

We may want to do conversion in a XR world?  Is this authoring or
overkill?  Does anyone imagine editing documents (programs, outputs) in XR?

Indeed, what does it mean to program in the Metaverse?  What is a document
in XR?