[x3d-public] X3D Working Group meeting 23 SEP 2022: X3D Application Stack Layers Alternatives diagram refinement

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 11:25:47 PDT 2022

Personally, I think we’re all trying to figure out how X3D fits into the
Metaverse, which was why i was trying to come up with things we might want
to do in the Metaverse, and what might appear in the Metaverse.

For me, i may want to show the X3D standard in the Metaverse.

John

On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 1:16 PM Christoph Valentin <
christoph.valentin at gmx.at> wrote:

> [...]
> just a "rough overview for starters", about how X3D fits into any computer
> system.
>

> *Gesendet:* Samstag, 24. September 2022 um 20:05 Uhr
> *Von:* "John Carlson" <yottzumm at gmail.com>
> *An:* "Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV)" <brutzman at nps.edu>
> x3d-public at web3d.org>
> *Betreff:* Re: [x3d-public] X3D Working Group meeting 23 SEP 2022: X3D
> Application Stack Layers Alternatives diagram refinement
> More verbs:
>
> Require, Design, Implement, Release/Produce/Emit, Consume/Collect.
>
> More nouns:
>
> Source, Sink
>
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 1:00 PM John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps we should focus on Author/Creator, Read/View,
>> Manipulate/Update/Edit/Transform/Convert, Debug/Test, Secure,
>>  Compress/Decompress, Publish/Evangelize, Buy/Browse, Sell/Purvey, more
>> verbs. … Archive
>>
>> On all our main classes:
>>
>> Standards, Object Models, Conversion Programs, Worlds, Scenes, Models,
>> Examples, Renderings, Bindings, Encodings, Schemas, Files,
>> Tools/Browsers/Apps/Libraries
>>
>> So on one axis we put verbs, and on other axis we put nouns/classes.
>>
>> I’m not really pushing my way.  I think it better demonstrates where work
>> needs to be done.
>>
>> In particular, our standards don’t refer to monetization at all.  GNU at
>> least advocates selling support, there’s Patreon, Odysee and 3D model
>> stores.
>>
>> Thanks, Don, for helping get beyond simple CRUD-GR!
>>
>> Woohoo!
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 10:12 AM Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) <
>> brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> John wrote:
>>>
>>>    - “Looked at layers and alternative attachment.  I’m wondering why
>>>    there’s two boxes for converting?“
>>>

>>> Good point.  There are two similar concepts I’m trying to distinguish:
>>>
>>> (a) 3D models can be converted for reuse offline,
>>>
>>> (b) translator libraries offer programming-library options for
>>> applications.
>>>

>>> Attached please find this morning’s update.  Added a caption for further
>>> explanation:
>>>

>>>    - “X3D is interoperable with diverse technologies, providing
>>>    multiple choices to developers.”
>>>

>>> Complicated territory – does this help describe the many options
>>> available with X3D?  Am striving for clarity and simplicity, if possible.
>>> Hopefully this diagram continues to improve, and might help us show the X3D
>>> value propositions more widely, including to Metaverse Standards Forum
>>> participants.
>>>

>>> Further review and comment by all is welcome.
>>>

>>> all the best, Don
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br
>>> brutzman at nps.edu
>>>
>>> Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA

>>> e. At that point, amendment of X3D to stay aligned with Registry of
>>> Items (or possibly add further styles independently) can be considered.