[x3d-public] RE: Re: X3D Working Group meeting 23 SEP 2022: X3D Application Stack Layers Alternatives diagram refinement

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Sep 25 15:52:41 PDT 2022

Helpful feedback, again thanks Christoph.  Responses:

1.	Definitely not trying to introduce new concepts.  Describing the art
of the possible, emphasizing standards for repeatability wherever possible.
2.	Concepts used in Stack Layers Alternatives diagram

*	X3D scene is an X3D model that may inline other internal
models/media and interact with external resources.
*	X3D Application is whatever application you might put together that
includes X3D model(s).

This seems like a good match to your expression of the same ideas.

3.	Agreed with your point; not trying to define a best-practice
approach with this, rather trying to illustrate possibilities.
4.	Actually, server can provide any of the content identified and is
especially useful for production/dissemination of Web-based content (HTML5
CSS JavaScript X3D) in any combination.  Such deployment can add server-side
mediation or shared state provided via HTML or X3D url calls.  So
server-side activities might lay behind several of the blocks shown, adding
richness.
5.	Yes these diagrams are both shared
 the working group Stack Layers
Alternatives diagram is attempting to show typical design choices available
in this fairly complex domain.

These combinations are all so rich and laden with information-driven
potential that User Experience (UX) concepts seem appropriate for the most
expressive layer at top
 am hoping this will also someday inform efforts by
Web3D User Experience (Web3DUX) Working Group.

*	Web3D User Experience (Web3DUX) Working Group
*	https://www.web3d.org/working-groups/web3d-user-experience
*	The Web3DUX working group develops and demonstrates best practices
for X3D support of rich user experiences using a variety of Web3D
technologies and content-delivery platforms.

Onward we go – have fun with X3D!   8)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, Navy robotics https://
faculty.nps.edu/brutzman