[x3d-public] X3D Working Group meeting 23 SEP 2022:Mantisissuesreview, SvgTexture

Joseph D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 29 18:22:21 PDT 2022

Sent from Mail for Windows

From: Michalis Kamburelis
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2022 5:39 PM
To: Joseph D Williams
Subject: Re: [x3d-public] X3D Working Group meeting 23 SEP 2022:Mantisissuesreview, SvgTexture

➢ @Joseph: The joints/transforms in glTF are animated in the same way as
the joints/transforms in X3D. Surely you can (and should) interpolate
them between keyframes.

Yes, that is why you can use some set of gltf assets to create x3d user code for x3d hanim humanoid and animations. The input and output data stuffs can be the same, except normal x3d user code stores only the inputs not outputs.
And use example x3d hanim user code animations to create gltf assets, including the hardware-ready results of the animation routine. There is some stuff that cannot be stored in x3d user code and that is the frame-by-frame result of the animation operations on each vertex. t

➢ I do not get why you say "No interpolation, because no frames between
keys? This limits author when creating animations that use authored
key times with linear interpolation. "

well, I think if we look at the gltf assets we will see that the most simple form does not need runtime interpolators because the already computed ‘joint’ rotation data is shipped in the form of a set of keyframe data for each vertex at each frame for a certain number of frames at a fixed increment in a form that is ready to send to the hardware that computes that vertex location for that frame. Is that one reason this gltf device is so effortlessly fast? Most of the computing is already done.
The most simple gltf just tells the number of frames and the fixed time increment. The runtime sets the key data at the appropriate time. This is the spinning tennis shoe in gltf 3D; it does its thing. I think if you want to add more, like interactivity, then you keep it realtime x3d user code and do the ‘live’ interpolations to present actual data at that time.

➢ Regards,
➢ Michalis

All Best,
Joe