[x3d-public] deprecating portions of X3DJSONLD (JavaScript output)

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 20:40:21 PDT 2023

This appears to be the bridge i saw on github.  I am not sure if it would
work.

https://github.com/LivePersonInc/kafka-java-bridge

Probably the best approaches that i know of is GraalVM —nashorn, or
preferably JavaScript SAI (X3DOM, X_ITE or freewrl — others?)
——

I do not see a future with a common API.  Each language/browser will
implement the abstract SAI and concrete SAIs.  That means the SAI program
will likely be tied to a browser or library, and possibly authoring tools.
Which pretty much limits portable X3D programs to simple logic and
declarative logic.

What is the purpose of SAI?  It seems like it’s best used as a network
protocol or EAI. @Chris

Common APIs means tooling for different bindings can be reused.   I believe
that has been my goal with X3DJSONLD, it didn’t work out.  AFAIK, there’s
no AST or IR that we can use, we’re stuck converting between encodings.
I’m poking a bit here!  Certainly I’m converting from JSON to XML/DOM in
X3DJSONLD because I believe XML/DOM is a superior, well supported
AST/IR/encoding.  I do hope that XML/DOM versions of glTF start emerging!

If someone wants to use X3DJSONLD.js for this, speak up!

Hmm!

John