[x3d-public] Sound v4 Recommendations - Splitter/Merger/Selector

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Feb 16 09:48:21 PST 2023

Thanos:  Doug Sanden (gpugroup, FreeWRL implementer) has made a number of
recommendations on x3d-public mailing list regarding X3D 4.0 Sound
component.

*	X3D4 Architecture, clause 16 Sound component
*
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-DIS/Part01/
components/sound.html

As discussed, am hoping you (and perhaps Efi) can make time to look at them.
Our driving factor is correctly achieving full compliance with

*	W3C Web Audio API
*	https://www.w3.org/TR/webaudio

Doug: thanks for pointing out alternatives whenever our design does not
closely/exactly match the Web Audio API.  That is key and a deciding factor,
since our design goal is to be able to create directly corresponding audio
graphs for each.  At some future point, I expect to demonstrate this by
creating XSLT stylesheets that convert X3D audio graphs to simple ASCII-text
trees (similar to HAnim outputs) and also JavaScript source with matching
Web Audio class invocations.

Suggested group approach: first triage and then refine each suggested
change.  Categories:

a.	Essential. Necessary change for final X3D 4.0 to correctly support
Web Audio API Recommendation, completing Draft International Specification
(DIS) review corrections.
b.	Next.  Important recommended change for browser implementers and
follow-on X3D 4.1 specification.
c.	Future.  Informational, deserving of further extensibility work
through implementation and evaluation.

Am hoping we can have all recommendations and reactions posted and ready for
X3D Working Group meeting on Friday March 3.  Please advise if you think
that is possible - thanks for your continuing careful scrutiny.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, Navy robotics https://
faculty.nps.edu/brutzman