[x3d-public] 3D Working Group agenda 23 FEB 2023: progress reports, proposed Metaverse group, glTF extensions, X3D 4.1 feature discussion

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Feb 23 23:02:59 PST 2023

The X3D Working Group meets weekly on Fridays 09-1000 Pacific on Web3D
Consortium zoom channel.  Telcon information:

*
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09
*	https://zoom.us/j/148206572  Password 483805
*	https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

1.	X3D 2023 goals.  Our primary activities for X3D Working Group in
2023 are focused on broad and correct deployment.

a.	Encourage consistent rendering, interaction and usage for the many
tremendous capabilities in X3D4.
b.	Update ISO specifications and implementations for multiple
programming languages and file encodings to match X3D4.

2.	Lots of progress.  Great to see lots of good things happening.
Hoping to create snapshot of major events:

a.	Loading of STL and OBJ by multiple browsers.
b.	X_ITE validation and conversion capabilities
c.	X3DOM support for glTF Draco geometric compression
d.	X3D-Edit prerelease: XML security support, localhost HTTP for CORS
support when testing X_ITE.
e.	What else?

3.	Focus: 3D Web Interoperability to Metaverse Standards Forum (MSF)

Nicholas Polys has crafted an excellent draft proposal for a new exploratory
group on 3D Web Interoperability for the Metaverse Standards Forum (MSF).
We will review, discuss, and begin planning next steps.

4.	glTF Extensions.

Recent email threads have pointed out that X3D 4.0 normatively references
glTF 2.0.  Meanwhile numerous glTF extensions are available.  Nothing
prohibits X3D browsers/players/tools from going beyond baseline glTF 2.0 -
the "X" in X3D is Extensible.  8)

There is benefit to software developers, content authors and end users to
having a shared strategy on what new features to support.  Considering and
supporting such a list is further suitable as a Web3D Recommendation as a
stepping stone towards future pursuit of X3D 4.1 with International
Standards Organization (ISO).

Here are a few glTF extensions that have been proposed.  Let's discuss which
have high value and deserve consideration as part of a shared strategy.

*	EnvironmentLight
*	emissiveColor bloom
*	Draco geometry compression
*	Human animation
*	Others?

5.	X3D 4.1 feature discussion. (carried over from last week)

Many possibilities!  The "X" in X3D is Extensible, so pursuit of further
evolution is an essential part of our design.  We benefit from (but are not
limited by) ISO stability, since implementers can experiment with innovative
practices and also match Web3D Consortium recommended practices.

a.	Near term: resolving Sound component differences with Web Audio API.
Some noted issues will likely get deferred as X3D 4.1 issues.
b.	In progress: HAnim2/X3D4 additions for site names, poses, and
clothing to provide support for apparel.
c.	What else? What's next?

Wishing best progress.  Have fun with X3D!  8)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, Navy robotics https://
faculty.nps.edu/brutzman