[x3d-public] X3D Working Group agenda 13 JAN 2023: 2023 goals, ISO specification updates, X3D Node Inventory Comparison

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 08:46:13 PST 2023

On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 10:00 AM Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) <
brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

>    1. Take a look at our X3D Node Inventory Comparison, lets prepare to
>    regularly update.
>

>    - X3D Specifications: Schema and DOCTYPE Validation
>    - https://www.web3d.org/specifications
>    - These assets are commonly used for XML validation of X3D scenes, and
>    in-depth documentation is also provided here.
>

>    - X3D Node Inventory Comparison (.pdf) shows node-by-node
>    implementation coverage of the X3D Abstract Specification: validation using
>    X3D Schema, X3D DOCTYPE, and X3D Schematron; X3D Tooltips and VRML97 node
>    sets; plus selected open-source implementations: FreeWrl, X3DOM, X_ITE,
>    view3dscene (Castle Game Engine), X3D-Edit, Xj3D.
>    - https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dNodeInventoryComparison.pdf

"Can John Carlson's open-source X3DJSONLD be regularized to match
JavaScript SAI standard?"

There are 2 parts in X3DJSONLD.  The loader, which requires modifications
to SAI to support JSON scene loading.  This has been accomplished in X3DOM
and X_ITE. but no one has stepped forward for standardization of this.
Something like importDoc, importJSON, createX3DfromJSON might be
appropriate. Andreas and I have worked on X3DOM to add more standard
functions to the runtime.  I trust that once the standard is created, I or
Holger will modify X_ITE to follow standard SAI for JSON loading. There is
no issue with just specifying an X3D JSON file in an Inline right now, and
is probably preferred over the SAI functionality.

The other part is the JavaScript app files, which now align with X3DJSAIL
using a buggy Node.js->Java FFI. found on npm.  Other solutions (Nashorn)
worked well in the past. I am not sure why we aren't pursuing those.

If we want a JavaScript SAI standard implementation, perhaps we should
modify X3DOM or X_ITE?  What's the attraction of a 3rd JavaScript SAI
implementation?