[x3d-public] X3DJSAIL+OpenJFX for X3D4, Focus on DIS?

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 03:08:11 PST 2023

I’m considering moving into X3D4 development with X3DJSAIL and rendering
with OpenJFX.   But first, I want to make sure I’m not stepping on others’
toes.   Is Xj3D stuck at X3D3.3 or below?   What’s the upgrade path of Xj3D?

I personally have several Java projects which could use an infusion of 3D
tech.   These are multiuser systems that could leverage things that are
“slow graphics.”  Planning systems,  (meta)modeling systems, card games,
chat, and other distributed/federated social systems.  These systems are
based RMI and message/broadcast-based networking (think of something like
NVIDIA’s Omniverse).

Next, which form of Java 3D graphics libraries will continue to be
supported into the future? Of my choices between OpenJFX, Java3D,
JOGAMP+Java3D, LWPGL, org.fenggui and Avalon, which can I expect to support
Vulkan?   How does Java and X3D work with Vulkan and glTF, especially PBR?

If I continue to use X3D for networking, how can DIS/HLA support messages
including images/maps, text, voice (for collaboration) and video?

I know that Web3D/X3D is not really in typical “application
development”—I’m not really expecting to use web protocols like HTTP, CSS
or JavaScript.   SSL/TLS might be supported with a nonce (to prevent the
same thing to be encrypted over and over).

If this sounds a bit like Open Wonderland or RedDwarf/Project Darkstar,
yes.   Think of it as Java+3D+networking.   I am unsure of avatars at this
time—seems like a lot of complexity and expense.

Can we build “lightweight 3D apps” which don’t require “the rest of the
web” or “the rest of the IDE” bloat?

I’m really interested in what’s known about Vulkan+Java.

Where’s the WORA-3D promise?

I would sure l like to hear some “we tried that, but…” stories.

I’ll start off.  I attempted to create a visual programming language like
http://www.dsmforum.org/events/dsvl01/carlson.pdf in 3D.   Unfortunately, I
wasn’t smart enough to get the stacking of boxes to work in Java3D.   I
believe there might have been someone at IBM who got the equivalent working
with 3D tables.  The project was called “River” or real interfaces
visualizer.  I’m unsure of any patents at this time.

>From my experience with Java3D, moving things around in 3D like you can
with elements in HTML is next to impossible, but of course, we have
particle systems in 3D.   I would like to see a demo of a table-based
particle system before pursuing creating a 3D language.