[x3d-public] X3D Working Group meeting 4 JAN 2024: charter goals for a great new year!

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Jan 4 10:33:55 PST 2024

Happy New Year everyone!  No really!

The X3D Working Group is renewing our weekly teleconferences.  Both Web3D members and X3D community members are welcome to participate.

*	X3D Working Group weekly teleconference, Fridays 090-1000 pacific (12-1300 eastern,
*	https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09
*	https://zoom.us/j/148206572  Password 483805
*	https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

Our agenda is to hear people’s ideas, and review our draft charter for the coming year.  Thanks for all feedback received, latest version follows.

X3D Charter Revision, 4 JAN 2024

X3D Working Group Goals

a.	X3D Example Models.  Demonstrate how X3D can make 3D Graphics part of the modern Web by integrating with key infrastructure such as Web3D Conference series, Wikipedia, and other major publication resources.  Thousands of validated examples already work well.  What other interactive 3D models are people working to publish and share?  X3D can help.

b.	X3D Implementations.  Provide a technical forum that encourages the greatest possible development for functionally complete X3D4 applications, authoring tools, and model converters such as Blender and MeshLab.  Pay special attention to implementations using Humanoid Animation (HAnim), glTF model import/export, Web Audio API and MIDI 2.0 capabilities for integrated spatial auralization, projective texture mapping, HTML5 integration, XML, JSON/JavaScript, Java, Python, C/C++/C#, compressed binary formats, and additional new X3D 4.0 features.

c.	X3D Specifications Synchronization.  Update, review, implement and advance all corresponding X3D specifications for file encodings and language encodings, continuing rigorous attention to detail through Web3D Consortium, W3C, US INCITS H3, and ISO/IEC standards development organizations (SDOs).

d.	X3D as Innovation Foundation.  3D models from many sources can now be published as part of the Open Web. Show how Extensibility mechanisms for X3D can implement new capabilities in a standards-compatible way.  Much is possible, model correctness is validatable, and few barriers to exploration exist.

e.	X3D and Metaverse.  Support Metaverse Standards Forum (MSF) innovations, especially in the 3D Web Interoperability and Metaverse Standards Register working groups.  Implementing widely shared use cases can offer helpful insight on capabilities, successes, and next-step goals.

These shared goals are sensible next steps in a quarter century of stable evolution using Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML) and X3D.

X3D History

*	Past as Prologue.  The X3D Working Group carefully follows Web3D policies and procedures, integrating much public/private comment that is well documented in public X3D email archives and member-access Mantis issue tracker.  Both backwards compatibility and forwards extensibility have been carefully preserved throughout, enabling effective reuse of every VRML97 and X3D model for the past quarter century. Seventh in a specification series starting with VRML97, successful completion of the X3D 4.0 Architecture once again proves that this collaborative process is effective.

*	Present, 2024.  There is much capability in X3D 4.0 already that deserves broader implementation and exposure in high-capability models. Consequently we are deliberately not pursuing X3D 4.1 specification improvements with ISO/IEC in 2024.  Meanwhile we do encourage Innovation by emphasizing X3D extensibility mechanisms:  Inline, Script, Prototype, software libraries supporting source-code implementations that generate X3D, etc. etc.  New candidate nodes (such as Image Atlas) that rise to the level of broad usefulness can be formally considered as contributions to Web3D Recommended Practice.

*	Future, 2025+.  Once all of the corresponding X3D specifications have been updated to match X3D 4.0 architecture, development of a future X3D 4.1 specification revision will be possible.

All review, insights, and improvements are welcome.  I’ll smooth and push a charter renewal proposal to Web3D Board of Directors next week.

These five points – examples, implementations, spec synch, innovation, and metaverse – will be our agenda structure for the rest of the year.  Weekly reinforcement of our shared progress is good for everyone.

Have fun with X3D!   😊

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics https://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman