[Korea-chapter] [h-anim] H-Anim WG meeting, January 27th, 5:30pm PST (28th, 10:30am KST)

Sandy Ressler sressler at nist.gov
Mon Jan 28 07:10:48 PST 2013

Actually the original feature points are based on "anthropometric landmarks" that come from the CAESAR project which is in the bibliography of the standard: CAESAR—Digitally Defining the Human Body, SAE International, 2003.
http://www.sae.org/technicalcommittees/caesarhome.htm

Sandy

On Jan 28, 2013, at 10:02 AM, Joe D Williams wrote:

>> Question 1: How were the feature points obtained?
>
> I used the standard feature point names listed in the specification as
> a start. The typical xyz locations are given in the VRML examples
> included in the h-anim standard. I added some in between points in
> order to  fill in some points for simple triangules. In some areas,
> like face we need more points.
>
>> Question 2: Are default points necessary?
>
> The idea is that we specify 'standard' feature point names and
> 'tyupical' locations.
>
>> The points are for a specific person and, therefore, cannot be
>> re-used for other persons.
>
> Of course the feature point locations will vary depending upon the
> dimensions of the character being modelled.
>
>> Is the role of the default points to give a guideline to define
>> feature points?
>
> Yes, just like the locations of the joints and length of segments is
> adjusted for the actual human, the feature points are named locations
> that may be varied depending upon the character being created.
>
> Best Regards,
> Joe

Sandy Ressler
High Performance Computing and Visualization Group
100 Bureau Drive, STOP 8911
Gaithersburg MD, 20899
(301) 975-3549 Fax: (301) 975-3218
sressler at nist.gov