[Korea-chapter] [h-anim] composable behaviors, animations, sequencers

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 12 11:35:08 PDT 2013

Hi Myeong,

> I will bring our 10 example H-Anim characters designed by 3ds Max to
> the Siggraph H-Anim meeting.

Thank you for this. I think it does not matter which tool the author
uses in design and animation, it is the actual human readable X3D
HAnim user code that represents each character that is of primary
importance.

At any point in the process, I think it should be possible to produce
a text file showing what is happening inside, in the actual user code
that defines and animates the character.
I haven't discussed this detail specifically in the working group but,
for example, that is why we are not moving forward now with the
existing 'diverse models' HAnim change.
We only had one X3D player that demonstrated the very important
concept and no running prototypes. Some interest, but perhaps more
interest in just sticking to the simplist way of just drawing
everything directly in skeleton space instead of providing a
systematic way to adjust things into skeleton space.

Historically, this is similar to the step between hanim level1 where
geometry is part of a segment and the level2 deformable skin where the
'skin' is part of the humanoid with movement controlled by joint
bindings. This step was practically impossible to prototype (see
boxman script and bsC protos). It took an interval to get this best
practice, along with the best practice displacer methods, of skin
animation running in more than one browser. Yet today deformable skin
is supported widely.

> because we realized some problems in wrl files.

Maybe we can help. I can't think of a better forum to deal with wrl,
x3d or general humanoid animation probems than our consortuium so
please bring these problems forward.

> All the characters can be animated using BVH motion capture files in
> our motion viewer.

Of course the goal is that we can define a system that can be used in
every X3D tool. I think understanding of bvh format and best practice
conversion to native X3D data types is important because it provides
an interface with consumer devices that are being widely used. We
recieved this link from an early contributor to h-anim
http://cg.cis.upenn.edu/hms/research/ADAPT/
as another example. I hope you can meet with Norm at the show.

To me it is most important that there is not a rush to define a
standard but we search for the true best practices by testing several
working solutions.

> All the animaiton sequences can be stored as an animation file

That goes right along with existing X3D HAnim practice. Either
generate the data using scripts or interpolators and/or import data as
a string or a file.

I think another very important part of the motion proposal is the
detail that the proposal introduces a change from 'realtime' to a
fixed or variable author specified frames per second mode (fps).
I think this is a way to synchronize the X3D player to some sort of
capture or rendering device that works at fixed or known frame
intervals, such as 'video' capture/playback.
As usual, with X3D there are several ways to get this done and please
keep in mind that we must search for a general solution to this method
of animation capture/playback in X3D.

I am also hoping you can briefly overview some of the current work of
evaluation and validation of the existing HAnim model by showing the
three specification examples we have been working on.

Have fun in California.
Thank You and Best Regards,
Joe