[semantics-public] RDF embeddings for X3D

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Wed May 25 19:25:28 PDT 2022

Vince, embedding is a technical term from machine learning for taking large
amounts of text (word2vec) or objects (Amazon? Sagemaker—object2vec) and
converting word or object adjacency (in spatial or temporal terms) into
vectors.  This allows words (or things that otherwise aren’t reduced to
scalar or matrix values) to be used as vectors instead of using symbolic
manipulation.   One can even do vector arithmetic on words, and it works!
Obviously words farther away from a central word should probably have a
lower weight while embedding.

There are many …2vec projects.

For example one might use the 6 words around a word throughout a document
to predict what word comes next after completing embedding.

One needs a vector space to compute gradient descent in neural network
backpropagation, since gradient descent cannot be computed on written
words.  I believe that the embedding provides such a space, too.

In other words, embedding means converting data into vectors so things like
TensorFlow will work!

The old story used to be that a book can be converted into a vector of a
very large space.   Embedding is taking that huge space and reduces the
dimensions, and increases the number of vectors.

Hope this helps, and will eventually be another tool for 3D practitioners.

John