[X3D-Public] my musings on O3D and JavaScript on the web

Tom Sparks tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 25 18:34:47 PDT 2009

if they (google) are going to write an web-based 3D API (like OGL did for the desktop), then we need to join them because it may be the only way to get X3D as a true native plugin

my feeling is X3D fits in between drag-and-drop 3D and OGL-like 3D

--- On Sat, 25/4/09, GLG <info at 3dnetproductions.com> wrote:
<snip>
>is being marketed as "an open web standard for 3D graphics";
>a false premise as evidenced in the following extract from
>http://code.google.com/apis/o3d/
>

>"O3D is an open-source web API for creating rich,
>interactive 3D applications in the browser. This API is
>shared at an early stage as part of a conversation with the
>broader developer community about establishing an open web
>standard for 3D graphics."
>

>I'm sorry what? You are sharing your new API with us as part
>of a conversation about establishing an open web standard
>for 3D graphics? We already have a standard, it is ISO
>approved and in use at countless organizations. Aren't you a
>bit late to have a conversation about "establishing an open
>web standard"?
>
>As far as I am concerned, O3D and X3D COULD possibly be
>friends, but not like that. Google needs to be able to fully
>recognize X3D. I am asking the O3D team to reword this
>position, which, intentionally or not, as it stands, is
>blatantly misleading.
>
>Lauren
>3dnpvei.com

<snip>

tom_a_sparks Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments. but instead use OpenDocument File Formats or use OpenOffice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

      Enjoy a safer web experience. Upgrade to the new Internet Explorer 8 optimised for Yahoo!7. Get it now.