[X3D-Public] ROUTEs can send an event to a point in the 3D space?

diego martínez diegomp1982 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 03:15:15 PDT 2009

Hello everybody!

This is my first message to the list, even though I have some experience
using the good old VRML.

I would like to add a plug in a Virtual Environment (VE), so that any object
placed over the plug (collision) would receive events to turn it on or off.

My initial idea was to define prototypes with a boolean input field for the
different objects (bulbs, toys,...) I wanted to plug. These objects would be
moved over a table using a PlaneSensor. Then I would connect a button with a
TouchSensor that would send its events to the position of the 'plug' in the
3D space.  I would like this plug to be also movable using a PlaneSensor.

Unluckily, after checking X3D specification, I think this approach is not
possible.

How could I implement such a behaviour in X3D?
I have tried to create an script executed by the objects likely to be
connected to the plug, in which I would manually check the collision among
these objects, but I would need to get the 3D position of both the plug and
the object. Is there any way to do this?

Would I need to use SAI and have a parallel SceneGraph -an external java
SceneGraph- definition that allows me to check such things??

Thanks in advance!!