[X3D-Public] packaging browsers for Linux

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Tue May 5 05:00:27 PDT 2009

Hi,

as I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu, one of the popular distros and
based on Debian, I found that now x3d-browser is available. For most
users, this would mean no access to x3d, as they usually install
anything by their package-manager (which is not a bad idea, as it keeps
track of updates). Anyway, I wanted to give it a try, but I also did not
manage to compile FreeWRL.

The authoring tools are better represented, WhiteDune, Blender, all the
stuff is there...

So I would like to know whether there is any information on getting the
open-source tool-chain closed to the browser is available - experiences,
ressources, attempts to compile and such stuff. I would also look into
projects that need maintainers for distribution binaries.

CU Lars.