[X3D-Public] Fwd: Re: [X3D] X3D HTML5 meeting discussions: Declarative 3D interest group at W3C

John Carlson john.carlson3 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 29 08:24:09 PST 2010

On Dec 29, 2010, at 5:28 AM, John A. Stewart wrote:

> 2) *somehow* keep the ability to *somehow* render older scenes so that users have continuity with their content over years and years.
>
> We all know these points, partcularly #2; we have all been burned numerous times by having document formats become obsolete. Backwards compatibility, while *not* fun for us, the lack of backwards compatibility will be *not fun* for users. How that compatibility gets handled might be an interesting topic in itself.

May I suggest writing an OpenGL driver which records OpenGL commands (and shader programs, perhaps) put out by a X3D or VRML browser, and writes the commands to WebGL?  You can try doing something like SMARTedit http://tlau.org/research/smartedit/ (stepping through the WebGL in "record" mode and detecting loops, conditionals, etc).