[X3D-Public] The Network Sensor is not enough

Christoph Valentin christoph.valentin at gmx.at
Sat Feb 12 10:19:31 PST 2011

Hi Sven-Erik

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the IEEE DIS standard. Hence the
following statements will not be based on facts but just on assumptions and
impressions - and on the X3D DIS API (aka X3D DIS Component), which is
publicly available.

I think, a car driver simulator is one thing, but a railway simulation is
another thing.

In railway simulations, we have a 1-dimensional kinematics "along the
track", we have bogies, we have jointed vehicles, vehicles can be combined
to trains, trains can be splitted, and so on.

I'm not 100% sure, but from what I think to know about DIS, DIS will not be
flexible/extensible enough to model such things.

>From my point of view, the whole "SrrTrains" project is mainly a thought
experiment, but I have started to notice a little bit interest,.........

Much fun with your car simulator, of course :-)

Christoph

--
Schon gehört? GMX hat einen genialen Phishing-Filter in die
Toolbar eingebaut! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/toolbar