[X3D-Public] X3D Annotation Component: let's find past resources and resume work

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Aug 21 01:51:54 PDT 2012

Hi Len.  We're in Brussels at the ISO SC 24 WG 6 meeting and discussing
the draft X3D Annotation Component that the Medical working group
was originally working on.  Dick Puk showed us a draft.

Based on various discussions, we're hearing that this work will be of
specific value for our Medical, CAD, Augmented Reality (AR) and the
E-Learning activities.  No doubt it will be of general use too.

General questions:
- Can we get the current version publicly visible on web3d.org?
- Wondering if use cases or requirements have been defined?
- Where is the Xj3D partial implementation?
- Any other implementations out there?
- Did anyone try making node prototypes for experimental use? Shouldn't be hard.

I expect that we will need to update this draft to be well aligned
with current specifications and practices of HTML5 and also the
W3C Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI).  These will be important
steps for publishing 3D models and making X3D accessible to
all Web users.  Several business areas might also emerge in
publishing X3D models of real-world locations to make them
more accessible to people with physical impediments.
     http://www.w3.org/WAI
     http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/spec.html

One draft can be found under the Web3D Member area,
*Members Working Group Folders <http://www.web3d.org/membership/login/documents>, *MedX3D, "annotation.html"
but I found nothing else in there about annotations... Hopefully
any relevant work can be located and released to the public side.

Mike, Nick, Justin (and anyone else with experience here), can you
please help get everything relevant exposed and out in the open?

An earlier version of the specification document is online at
Xj3D Extensions - Annotations
http://svn.xj3d.org/xj3d_website/trunk/extensions/annotation.html

Thanks for all efforts to uncover this important work for review
and (hopefully) renewed progress.