[x3d-public] A note on standardization.

GLG x3d-public at 3dnpvei.com
Wed Apr 29 04:10:17 PDT 2015

>Hi Lauren

>Let me interpret in my own words, ok?

>That means, we have got twins.

Thank you Christoph,

I think you are narrowing things down quite nicely. All of this stuff becomes exponentially more intricate as we more forward, but maybe that's what keeps it interesting.

>a) It needs to be defined a communication protocol (or protocols) that can be used by any multiuser VR/AR technology and the whole 3D universe agrees to it

The Web3D Consortium was the first organization to have any role in establishing open standards for 3D over the Web. As such, the Consortium has always been a leader, and should continue beating that path in order to remain relevant IMO.

>b) In X3D/X3DOM (generally spoken in declarative 3D), we need some new nodes - something like a "game engine"

>KR

>Christoph

I probably wouldn't exactly compare it to a "game engine", because that would seem very application-specific, but I'd certainly call for a more easily implementable framework for physics simulation.

These two points are of high priority, at least as far as Office Towers' needs are. Other things come to mind as well, notably some issues with overlapping transparencies (for example, if you are looking at moving clouds through a tree you'd see what I mean), but I am not sure if that is the results of standards or browser implementation.

And let's not forget about avatars. A lot of work has been done in that regard, but avatars are such a difficult and crucial aspect, that much more attention is needed. For us, at the  moment, it appears that our implementation choices are either too little or too much. For example, on the one end, gestures are limited and unnatural, while on the other end too complex and refined for large multiuser worlds. Unless I am missing something, there's little in between, and there are no standard protocol for interacting with avatars. We'd also like to see a more linear upgrade path for avatars as well, eventually leading to standardized and portable gestures, including facial, but only as needed and desirable. Imagine a sort of Level Of Details (LOD) for avatars.

Now that is a long wish list isn't it..? ;)

Cheers,

Lauren