[x3d-public] Why Google Glass Broke - NYTimes.com

cbullard at hiwaay.net cbullard at hiwaay.net
Wed Feb 18 07:35:55 PST 2015

It's a fascinating market from a historical perspective.  Some small groups
succeed by staying on the edge of the standard but essentially building
proprietary mostly non interoperable model libraries.  A handful of mostly
proprietary engines consume mostly interoperable model libraries but render
them in almost faithful but not quite faithful scenes.   The artists are
left to ride the churn or lose the investment in building the art.  Meanwhile
a new generation of hardware vendors create wholly non-interoperable systems
of content and iron.

Worlds without end and not enough profit to create and end to end
marketplace, amen.  Very successful corporations invest substantial
resources and yet again
and again are starved like Hannibal's armies and forced to sail back
to Carthage without the prize.   A standard said dead by market
prophet after prophet is the only one still standing from the early
years.  VRML/X3D won't die.

A market analyst should puzzle over this.  A university graduate
student should
write a paper to answer the question:  why does this market never
congeal?  There are survivors but no market winners.  Why?

len