[x3d-public] Non-Hand Coding of X3D

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Thu Feb 25 15:47:49 PST 2016

On 2/25/2016 12:11 PM, Joe D Williams wrote:
>> Animation is the same thing. Yes you can animate by hand-coding all of
> the motions and deformations, but that is not how it is done.
>
> OK, you can say that but then in major tools, maybe hand-coding equals
> adjusting the animation curve for the element.
> The big idea in X3D is that whatever you do with the black box
> authoring tool it is supposed to spit out a completely docmenented
> text version of what is being done.

No, it doesn't automatically document anything. A string of ASCII
digits, spaces, signs, and dots is not document. It's as obscure as any
other format.

> Once you have the text, then it becomes easy to tweak certain stuff
> that is out of the range of your tool's front panel. Without the
> source code you have only the abstractions created in the authoring
> tools.

No. Have you even worked with Maya, Blender, or any other 3D animation
tool. Nothing is out of range because you can hand-edit curves and
individual points in those tools.

> more below
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Leonard Daly"
> <Leonard.Daly at realism.com>
> Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:55 PM
> Subject: [x3d-public] Non-Hand Coding of X3D
>

>> There seems to be some confusion about my statements about not
>> hand-coding certain things.
>>
>> I have stated that models and animations are not hand-coded anymore.
>> That statement does not mean it can't be done, but there are many tools
>> that do it, including open-source ones. There is no way someone is going
>> to hand-code models such as you can see at
>> http://www.blendswap.com/blends/index.
>
> Really?

Yes, really.

>> Hand coding models to be printed
>> is also not a good idea because things will probably not line up
>> correctly.
>>

> That is truely amazing that hand-coding only messes things up, never
> fixes anything.

Digits of precession. Most people don't even think of putting enough in.
There is also the human tendency to round things to "nice" numbers.

>> Animation is the same thing. Yes you can animate by hand-coding all of
>> the motions and deformations, but that is not how it is done. If X3D is
>> to get any acceptance into the professional marketplace it MUST work
>> with application generated models and animations. There will still be
>> some important animations that are hand coded (e.g., camera motions,
>> automated systems, etc.).
>
> What makes you think X3D does not work together with those
> 'application generated models and animations' you menton.

X3D does not handle FBX. FBX is the standard interchange file format for
models, animations, rigging, textures, etc.

Leonard Daly