[x3d-public] Presentation from SVVR2017

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 10:42:21 PDT 2017

Hi Leonard,

thanks for sharing your slides. They provide good perspective.

Some comments. While cobweb certainly is not used widely it probably would
have deserved mentioning in the table of web technologies. Also, I think it
is clear that A-Frame is quite a bit ahead in terms of providing VR
capability, compared to others (unity may have something functional as
well). The slides, at least, did not seem to make this obvious.

Did you get feedback after your presentation ? Anything you can share would
be interesting.

The idea of combining of x3dom and A-Frame somehow is interesting. I think
it would boil down to implementing a new x3d browser on top of A-Frame
which may be quite possible. I experimented by reimplementing
IndexedFaceSet and ElevationGrid in A-Frame and think that geometry and
material nodes could be quite straightforward. Not sure about everything
else but probably possible with a lot of work. It also would mean having a
SAI on top of the DOM (as being manipulated by A-Frame and custom event
interfaces). Your presentation made a good argument that there is a lot of
value in having a wide set of standardized capabilites.

-Andreas