[x3d-public] interesting sample

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 08:07:41 PDT 2017

> We have a pretty full set of outstanding Mantis issues regarding
> SFString/MFString, mostly oriented around spec prose:

Great!

I'm sorry, I don't have access to member-only information, and I may
not remember my own submissions from a long time ago:) It's good to
know that it's being worked on.

> There was at least one email thread on my recommended change, am not finding
> the issue which suggests that a nonempty MFString value without quote marks
> be handled as an MFString containing a single MFString, i.e.
>
>         string='missing quote marks'
>
> be treated as equivalent to
>
>         string=' "missing quote marks" '
>
> which might take care of many mysterious content failures.

This would "sanction" the current practice used by most
implementations, I think. So it's a good step.

But you need to be careful and use a more complicated example:) What
happens with

  <Text string='missing quote \" marks' />

?

1. Does this contain a visible backslash and a visible double-quote?
(As would happen if the "string" field was SFString.)

2. Or is the backslash invisible, and only assumed to protect the
following double-quote? (As would happen if you just append
double-quotes arround, making it equivalent to <Text string='"missing
quote \" marks"' /> .)

I guess that the answer should be determined by looking at what the
current browsers do. In any case, it should be clearly spelled out in
the specification.

> I think it would be good if we planned an X3D Working Group teleconference
> to focus on SFString/MFString issues together so that any reconciliations
> might be coherent.

If I may help, I am available:)

Best regards,
Michalis