[x3d-public] A numerical method suitable for raytracing?

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 10:38:34 PST 2017

I write you to get your opinion on whether a new numerical method could be
created for raytracing which found the closest, smallest polygon
approximating the surface near the point of intersection with a ray.   This
is opposed to finding the exact point of intersection.   The different
approximations of the polygon could be averaged and could lead into
something like radiosity.

What do you think?  Does such a thing exist?

It certainly sounds like adaptive tesselation I guess, but I'm wondering if
you can achieve more parallelism, assuming the smallest polygons are found
and not missed.

John Carlson