[x3d-public] Preliminary Announcement for XSeen: problems inmotivation phrasing

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 20:51:28 PDT 2017

Leonard writes:
>X3D in all public releases of the standard is not DOM integrated. There are no public documents that explicitly show how a future generation of X3D would be DOM integrated. That may happen in the future, but that has been worked on without public results for over three years.

I have some questions.  What are the requirements for being DOM integrated? Which DOM do you refer to? Isn’t DOM more of a language or library feature rather than a potential X3D feature?  Is it merely that X3D Scripts support DOM?  I have loaded DOM into both Cobweb and X3DOM, without the need for many complex extensions, just a DOM producer and JQuery or interfaces to the browser ($(selector).append () line 405 of https://github.com/coderextreme/X3DJSONLD/blob/master/src/main/node/loaderJQuery.js  for X3DOM, importDocument() line 205 of https://github.com/coderextreme/X3DJSONLD/blob/master/src/main/node/loaderJQuery.js  for Cobweb).

By using DOM, you can get DOM events, however, I think what you are saying is that Cobweb and X3DOM scenegraphs are not DOM event integrated.  I can see that.

If we want the X3D scenegraph integrated with the DOM events, that will likely take a lot of work, which I believe Leonard is the only brave soul doing—I have been off generating events from JavaScript. However, I would warn him that it’s likely that the THREE.js scenegraph isn’t DOM integrated either, but likely he knows the answer to this better than I do.

Will we ever see a scenegraph integrated with the DOM events? Isn’t that the goal?

Perhaps the best approach to DOM integration is to try it OUTSIDE the web environment first.