[x3d-public] Do modern browsers DO VRML??

vmarchetti at kshell.com vmarchetti at kshell.com
Wed Feb 13 06:16:17 PST 2019

You have made a good start.

The book you have on VRML 97 will give you a good introduction to the basic idea of a scenegraph, and the concepts of lighting, geometry, appearance and interactivity. The nodes described in the VRML book will transfer directly to X3D specification. When you do get the Brutzman and Daly book you will see that they give their examples in both XML encoding  and VRML encoding , and that will be familiar to you. Some creators who hand-build X3D models with a text editor prefer the VRML encoding. X3D is a superset of VRML  the sense that there's been 20 years of progress and extension to the spec since 1997; but anything you can do in an X3D file can also be published in VRML encoding.

Blender has long had support for X3D and many of us use Blender. If the v 2.8 beta is missing X3D export it's probably a packaging and deployment glitch, and the Web3D Consortium will work with Blender community to continue support of X3D by Blender.

Vince