[x3d-public] [x3d] X3D meeting minutes 22 FEB 2019: X3D v4 Development status categories

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Mar 1 16:11:29 PST 2019

Thanks for these observations John.

I think this points us at the importance of syntax for sending events to destinations, either (X3D -> HTML) or (HTML -> X3D).

There are several links in today's minutes of relevance: event descriptions and diagrams for both X3D and HTML.

The X3Dv4 spec defines functionality - this will tell authors how to construct what they need, and tell implementers what syntax/semantics to support.  In other words, interoperable content.  It does not mandate how an implementation gets coded.

Building examples and comparing X3DOM and X_ITE together should get us on path to convergence.

It would be good to get Roy Walmsley's original HTML+SVG+X3D+Javascript demo of "bouncing ball" back on center stage and refreshed.  Anyone know where it is?  Valuable role here for someone...

On 3/1/2019 2:19 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> In other words, to prevent script source code from appearing on the rendered page, I had to remove the text or CDATA node. I am fairly sure I removed the field nodes as well for X3DOM in X3DJSONLD, favoring my own implementation.
>
> I believe that text nodes are incompatible with execution, but it might be worth seeing how something like jsfiddle does it, if they keep a shadow script or what.
>
> I believe you can keep the fields in DOM (I didn’t) if you have an X3DOM implementation of them.
>
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 4:03 PM John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com <mailto:yottzumm at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     In other words, scripts (really script fields) do not appear in DOM and do not receive or generate DOM events.
>
>     John
>
>     On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 3:46 PM John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com <mailto:yottzumm at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         As far as I know there is no Script “class” or source file in X3DOM, thus no place to hang fields, thus nowhere to hook up routes.  I did write one at one time, it didn’t seem that difficult, but I’m not presently on board to rewrite it.   I suggest looking at other implementations of fields.
[...]