[x3d-public] colorMode of PointProperties

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 04:44:30 PST 2019

I am looking at colorMode field of the new PointProperties which has these

POINT_COLOR shall display the RGB channels of the color instance defined in
X3DMaterialNode or X3DColorNode, and the A channel of the texture if any.
If no color is
associated to the point, the default RGB color (0, 0, 0) shall be used.

TEXTURE_COLOR shall display the original texture with its RGBA channels and
regardless
to the X3DMaterialNode or X3DColorNode which might be associated to the
point set.

TEXTURE_AND_POINT_COLOR shall display the RGBA channels of a texture added
to the
RGB channels of the color defined in X3DMaterialNode or X3DColorNode node,
and the A
channel of the texture if any. If no color is associated to the point, the
result shall be exactly
the same as TEXTURE_COLOR.

What is the motivation, eg. what is the value over standard blending
behaviour, multiplying color and texture if both are given ?

Also, I do not understand how summing RGBA channels of texture and color
could be useful, as required by the TEXTURE_AND_POINT_COLOR option.

At this point, I would be in favour of removing the field. Instead,
standard lighting behaviour would apply. Other than color blending, this
may also include shading if normals are provided per point.

Andreas