[x3d-public] X3D working group minutes, 9 JAN 2020: naming of hidden field

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Jan 14 09:30:17 PST 2020

Continuing the dialog, without contradiction to prior discussion.

Dick, Michalis and I are discussing this issue on the X3D PBR telcon.

Holger thanks for pointing out CADLayer.  Of note with that node is that visible is an MFBool array, which is really difficult to animate properly.

Of further interest is that adding a SFBool /visible/ field to each child (CADAssembly etc.) of a CADLayer makes it much simpler to turn them on/off, thus making a good case for CADLayer /visible/ field to become SFBool instead of MFBool.

We further prefer the field name 'visible' to the other candidates (hidden, render, displayed, et al.)

So here are the X3DGroupingNode and related nodes listed in Mantis:

https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1271
> * Anchor, Billboard, CADAssembly, CADLayer, CADPart, Collision, EspduTransform, GeoLocation, GeoTransform, Group, HAnimSegment, HAnimSite, LayoutGroup, LOD, PickableGroup, ScreenGroup, Switch, Transform, Viewport, X3DViewportNode:
>
> * GeoLOD, HAnimHumanoid, HAnimJoint, Inline, Shape, StaticGroup

Outlier: ViewpointGroup has the 'displayed' field, for user interface (rather than scene-graph rendering).  We could make it the same or leave it alone since the functional semantics are different... leaving it unchanged leaves the door open for future interface-related use of that field.

Current summary: using SFBool /visible/ seems best for all nodes, including update to CADLayer.

Looking forward to resolving on Friday's telcon as planned.