[x3d-public] Updated summary of my changes to X3Dv4, and reasoning "why do we need UnlitMaterial"

GPU Group gpugroup at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 06:05:23 PDT 2020

I'm enjoying - a big help to have clear targets even if changed, and I've
been refactoring old code to prepare. Thanks very much Michalis, very
helpful.
-Doug
my experience so far:
I'm planning to put Physical and Unlit into normal workflow in freewrl, and
fixing old bugs and bad code in preparation.
Some gotchas:
a)Appearance.backMaterial: freewrl x3d parser needs
containerField='backMaterial' on one material, to work generically
<Appearance>
<Material ... />
<Material ... containerField='backMaterial'/>
</Appearance>
otherwise it seems to overwrite the material slot with the 2nd material
b) Appearance.backMaterial vs TwoSidedMaterial:
- TwoSided constrains to 2 'regular' materials
- Appearance.backside can sport new Unlit or Physical
- (gotcha: someone puts TwoSided in both material and.backMaterial )
So the shader workflow needs to support combinations of 2 material types at
the same time and switch on something like gl_FrontFacing
(I need to refactor from #defines to uniforms for determining shader
pathways, like we do with light types - ie FrontMaterial.type would
indicate Unlit, Regular or Physical or None )