[x3d-public] How X3D could work better for me.

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 10:47:53 PDT 2020

1) provide subdivision (high resolution models) on spheres, and other
surfaces.  I proposed that this be implemented kind of like textures.

2) provide a way to displace the subdivision coordinates, not with a script
or shader.  I recommend some kind of parametric equation or stochastic
element.

3) animate the displacements by modifying equation.

Any discussion of how I might implement this is welcome.
I know about FVRML and FX3D, but I don't think those are in the standard.

4) All this should run in web browsers.

Currently, one can use blender to subdivide spheres.  I've implemented for
my app in PlayCanvas: https://playcanv.as/p/wQgQBgkE/

The challenge remains to reimplement this well in X3D, so I am not tied to
proprietary products.  Plus, I want to build the scenegraph at runtime if
possible, instead of in a blender.  I don't want to use blender at all!

Thanks,