[x3d-public] Viewpoint centerOfRotation global or local

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 19:48:54 PST 2020

Hi Don,

as suggested, there is a need to test browsers in that regard.

https://gist.github.com/andreasplesch/b96f20ccf0b6dd7af0cfb69f4a66e0fc
has a simple scene with a transformed Viewpoint, as provided by a
member of the x3dom-user mailing list. The center of rotation (COR)
should also be transformed, and be centered on the green sphere.

Here are the results for some browsers using
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/andreasplesch/b96f20ccf0b6dd7af0cfb69f4a66e0fc/raw/f8d03849300390dc814db52a506732eb00b4baf6/ViewpointCOR.x3d

All browsers transform the position of the viewpoint correctly.

x3dom: https://gist.githack.com/andreasplesch/b96f20ccf0b6dd7af0cfb69f4a66e0fc/raw/f8d03849300390dc814db52a506732eb00b4baf6/Viewpoint.html
 rotates around red sphere, eg. COR is not transformed

view3dscene:
 puts the center of rotation somewhere in between the red and green
sphere, probably at the center of the total scene.

freeWrl:
 center of rotation at green sphere, correct

Octaga:
 center of rotation at green sphere, correct

InstantPlayer:
 center of rotation at green sphere, correct

So there is a majority which follows your analysis. I agree that this
is the most expected and least surprising behaviour.

Best regards,

-Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch