[x3d-public] Viewpoint centerOfRotation global or local

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Dec 6 21:08:34 PST 2020

Thanks for the in-depth testing Andreas, very interesting and important.  This is a very subtle issue.  Am happily surprised that you found so much consistency already.

Hopefully x3dom and view3dscene can be adjusted to perform similarly, by you and Michalis respectively.  Sounds do-able now that you have isolated the anomaly.

Additional thoughts... It was a big step when we made viewAll a behavior of the currently bound viewpoint starting at the user's current position.  It allows a momentary transition from local coordinates to global perspective, a recentering (if you will) of context before the user's next move.  To me this seems like a much more effective alternative than some the navigational mode approaches we tried before.

The ability to "think globally while acting locally" is powerful.  Author still has to think about alternatives that are being offered to user, viewAll is not a magic wand, but it does add a lot to our most powerful user-navigation tool: viewpoints.

X3D4 addition of an automatically bound NavigationInfo for each Viewpoint, plus simpler exposure of nearDistance/farDistance culling, also offer promise for more effective exploration and interaction simply by using carefully authored Viewpoint nodes.  I sometimes like to think of a list of descriptions for corresponding Viewpoints as a scene storyboard.

As mentioned earlier, getting navigation paradigms such as viewAll consistently aligned across browsers can help in development of recognizable/intuitive modes that users find effective.  This certainly helps with larger Web3DUX objectives also.

Once browsers also start providing support for ViewpointGroup (a selectable list of Viewpoint nodes whose visibility is scoped within a virtual box) then I think we will also have a good path for large-scale composition of many models within larger scenes.

Have fun looking at things with X3D4!  8)