[x3d-public] 0001239: NavigationInfo avatarSize type should be SFVec3f rather than MFFloat - Web3D MantisBT

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 02:23:07 PST 2020

Changing the avatarSize from MFFloat to SFVec3f *is* a
content-breaking change too.

For this reason, I would say to either 1. do not change it at all
(leave as MFFloat), 2. or change it into 3 independent SFFloat fields.

I'm fine with 1 (no change), I'm fine with 2 (change to 3x SFFloat).

Doing it "half-way" (changing to SFVec3f) isn't really useful in my
eyes -- we break compatibility, and do not get all the possible
benefits.

How is changing MFFloat->SFVec3f breaking?

1. E.g.

NavigationInfo {
  avatarSize [ 1 2 3 ]
}

(in classic encoding) will no longer work (fail at parsing) if you
chane avatarSize to SFVec3f.

2. Also if someone used avatarSize with more items than 3 (to provide
some browser-specific settings) then it breaks.

3. Also if someone wrapped NavigationInfo in a PROTO, like this, then it breaks:

PROTO MyNavigation [
  inputOutput MFFloat myAvatarSize 1 2 3
] {
  NavigationInfo { avatarSize IS myAvatarSize }
}

Regards,
Michalis