[x3d-public] higher level networking and potential for animated semantics.

GL info at 3dnetproductions.com
Sat Dec 26 04:45:54 PST 2020

John, Thank you for referencing some of my work. VR business has been a near life time goal of mine. Like you, I have realized many years ago that I couldn't do it alone. I was, however, very fortunate to have a group of X3D developers to share my ambitions. That culminated in the current state of 'Office Towers' which is still, unfortunately, not anywhere near the goals we had originally set out (circa 2008).

It is no secret that I have supported open standards for 3D on the web since the very beginning, 3D being a passion I had even before the web became a thing, back in the days of BBSs and the 'Remote Imaging Protocol' language for vector graphics over ASCII. I could also speak of several of our team members' impressive background.

But even with such a good team and all the drive we had to really make a difference, it wasn't enough. We needed an even bigger team that would have included more people in accounting, graphics design, marketing, sales, etc. with the ability to devote significant time to the project. In other words, I underestimated the scope of the project while over-estimating the staying power of people working from the goodness of their heart.

Perhaps we should've tried to seek funding, but seeing how other seemingly well funded endeavors failed almost consistently, this was never a decision I was prepared to make, and quite possibly the single most important reason why Office Towers remains up to this day.

However, we are now in a different time. I believe the ideas you brought forward are good if they can be integrated into sustainable business models and backed by reasonable injections of venture capital. Otherwise, enterprises with such attributes will always have the upper hand in the marketplace and continue to make it difficult for others to achieve a meaningful presence.

One thing I have learned for myself is that 'timing is everything'. Maybe now is the time for open standards deployment on a mass scale. Like many, I too long for standard 3D network protocols, and I like that you seem to be suggesting something in the lines of 'interaction protocols'.

One last note. While HTML5 has its place, I see it more as a stepping stone into lower lever applications. My opinion is that HTML5 can be a great way to help people get their feet wet, but to truly bring forward the power of 3D/VR into business apps, we need to be able to tap directly into modern graphics card APIs. Gina Lauren

* * * Interactive Multimedia - Internet Management * * *

  * *  Virtual Reality -- Application Programming  * *

    *   3D Net Productions  3dnetproductions.com   *