[x3d-public] higher level networking and potential for animated semantics.

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 18:08:45 PST 2020

Long semi-rant.   Take aways:   Let’s animate semantics.   Let’s create a
“12”-level networking stack (would JINI be appropriate?).  Let’s create
apps and networks that morph to counteract malware.

I do think that X3D sits at what I call “The application level” of
networking, and it has a strong position there.   I don’t know any other
product with such a strong 3D presence.   Second life and apps selling “3D
chat” seem to have faded.  NVIDIA’s certainly pushing towards 3D transfer
near the application level.   As we have seen with other applications on
the web, these application level transfers should be visible to the
developer for debugging and verification.

I can see a merging of remote work and 3D.

There are several types of work, research, design, development,
integration, quality assurance, deployment, and maintenance.   Something
like officetowers.com might provide insights into how we might integrate 3D
into our software work.   I am very sorry that I fumbled many times in
creating an environment suitable for this.   Thank goodness I learned the
lesson that I couldn’t do this all by myself.

I think we need to step up from the application level of networking and
think about more than client-server programming.   We need higher level
protocols, perhaps human patterns or protocols for building human networks
and systems that can survive COVID-19, 20, 21, ...  we can’t, for the sake
of the survival of our species, give up space exploration.   But perhaps we
need to explore more mystical paths, yet also provide a charitable path as
well (mixed?).

The HTML5 environment has progressed far enough along I think, to support
“3D enterprises” or “3D commerce.”  Obviously everyone is trying to see how
3D fits into remote work.   At the same time, I think we should consider
how virtual worlds affect our belief systems and governments.   Has anyone
shown a simulation of belief?   How important is honesty?  Semantics is
only the first step.   What if we could animate semantics?   This would
likely be a very big project.   Perhaps we could make it a mobile
distributed project.

What lessons were there in Open Wonderland?

I think Google’s “generic” approach is appropriate for the public.   I do
not think we should make all organizations generic lest they fall prey to
virus or cyberattack.

Imagine if we still had the stovepipe systems of the 60s, 70s, and 80s.
Anyone remember “Cuckoo’s Egg”?

Is anyone selling virtual estate besides Second Life?

Does the Internet need an “off” switch?

Don’t mind me.   I live among the corn and beans.

Don’t mind me, someone wrote metamindwriter on my mind today.   A new word!
  I feel like Neale Walsch.   I’m not a writer, I’m a mathematician!

I do thing we need a verification process and fingerprinting for
cyberattack tools.

I’m thinking we need applications that can morph yet maintain
functionality—take a page out of malware playbook.