[x3d-public] X3D Scripting for X3DOM w/o reading standard

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 14:08:03 PST 2021

I appreciate your confidence in me, but I feel that I would make a mess
of it.  Plus, if I can't read existing standards, I probably can't
figure out how to improve them either.

I have similar problems with videos, TV episodes, books, etc. I've been
working on doing better with videos, but it seems that YouTube makes me
angry now.

For some reason, my ability to email people remains.  I don't know if I
comprehend things too well in emails.

I feel it's best to stick with my strong points in bug finding, problem
solving and creativity.  I am not sure if there's a place for that in
Web3D/X3D.

I totally understand that X_ITE supports script <field>s, but I don't
know if script <field>'s are required to be supported by the standard.

I think the main sticking point is that HTML does not support script
<field>'s, so neither does X3D4?   But somehow, X_ITE supports <field>s
in scripts, and does DOM as well, via Andreas' extension.   It would
seem that X3DOM could support scripts given some effort.   When I tried,
I ran up against <field>'s not being supported, so I bailed.  But
perhaps someone with a bit more persistence could get past that, IDK.

Integrating Protos and Scripts still seems to be an unsolved problem in
X3DOM?  Is my effort the only one that actually has some modicum of
success (with some of my own files)?  If we start somewhere, should we
start with my effort, or X_ITE?  Or another path?

I opened email to report a possible misunderstanding in x3d.py. I'll put
that in another email.

Thanks!

John