[x3d-public] xml:lang language identification

vmarchetti at kshell.com vmarchetti at kshell.com
Tue Nov 16 16:23:52 PST 2021

> On Nov 16, 2021, at 6:00 PM, Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:
>
> XML allows identification of language via the reserved xml:lang attribute on any attribute.
>
> XML Recommendation, fifth edition, W3C, section2.12 Language Identification
> https://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-lang-tag <https://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-lang-tag>
>
> and
>
> W3C XML Schema Definition Language (XSD) 1.1 Part 2: Datatypes, W3C Recommendation 5 April 2012 section 3.4.3 language
> https://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/#language <https://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/#language>

These excerpts from the XML documents assert that the xml:lang attribute is not as granular as applying to individual attributes, but applies at
the XML element level, and so to all the attributes and subelements , with some clear rules for overriding the xml:lang attribute in sub-elements.

With that in mind, I think that the function of the xml:lang attribute can, in the X3D abstract specification, be performed by a MetadataString node which can be applied to any X3D node, including
other Metadata nodes. The advantage of this approach would be that the language attribution can be readily transferred between different encodings of the same X3D content.