[x3d-public] X3D minutes 19 NOV 2022: Web3D 2021 Conference products, rejuvenate 2 working groups, XML planned updates, X3D Python revisions

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Nov 19 10:58:27 PST 2021

Attendees Vince Marchetti, Don Brutzman.  Regrets Dick Puk.

  1.  Web3D 2021 Conference.

Hugely valuable event, thanks and congratulations to all concerned.

ACM Digital Library still doesn't have papers published (lots of labor issues all around the world I guess!) but have acknowledged it is on track.  We will announce when available.

  *   https://dl.acm.org/conference/web3d

Videos were all captured, some hiccups in availability, looks like conference organizers are still working on the problem.

  *   Web3D 2021, (menu) Program > Complete Program
https://web3d.siggraph.org
  *   https://web3d.siggraph.org/program

  1.  Many impressive presentations and special discussions on Cultural Heritage occurred during the conference.  Expect to hear more future activity on mail list and in upcoming meetings.  We need to rejuvenate leadership and membership of Cultural Heritage working group.

We updated charters for this group and also Mixed Augmented Reality to note that review and renewed goals and leadership are needed.

  1.  Metadata defaults in X3D4: Don will experiment as discussed this past week with updates to X3D XML Schema/DOCTYPE/X3DUOM and language bindings to use changed defaults for Metadata* containerField (from 'metadata' to 'value'). This will permit further testing as in example below.

  1.  Python X3D: X3DPSAIL and x3d.py

     *   One bug has been noted in XML output escaping, we hope to fix that next week./4.0
     *   Some difficulties with containerField outputs has been noted, we hope to fix that next week.  Careful scrutiny of X3D 3.3 versus 4.0 handling of contained metadata is needed.  In general, Python programmers should not have to worry about this, we will work on that.  Thanks to Vince for example test case:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE X3D PUBLIC "ISO//Web3D//DTD X3D 3.3//EN" https://www.web3d.org/specifications/x3d-3.3.dtd>
<X3D profile='Interchange' version='4.0'  xmlns:xsd='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsd:noNamespaceSchemaLocation =' https://www.web3d.org/specifications/x3d-3.3.xsd '>
    <head>
    </head>
    <Scene>
        <WorldInfo>
            <MetadataSet name="birthday" reference=http://www.americaslibrary.gov/jb/colonial/jb_colonial_washingtn_2.html>
                <MetadataString containerField="metadata" name="calendar" value='"Julian"'/>
                <MetadataInteger name="day" value="11"/>
                <MetadataInteger name="month" value="2"/>
                <MetadataInteger name="year" value="1731"/>
            </MetadataSet>
        </WorldInfo>
    </Scene>
</X3D>

     *   Connections to NumPy described on mailing list.  Example welcome, likely will be a sample pattern, not a direct dependency in x3d.py package.
     *   Utilization of standard Python library for JSON input, and print statements for JSON output, is likely to be added.  John Carlson will post examples.

Slow but steady, have a great week.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149
X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics https:// faculty.nps.edu/brutzman