[x3d-public] WebKit’s <model> and <source> elements

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 01:34:59 PDT 2021

https://github.com/WebKit/explainers/tree/main/model

Intends to make  3D format handling for glTF and USZ  part of the web.
Just <model> and <source> tags.   Multiple sources may be provided for the
model, in case a browser doesn’t support one of the formats.

Primary markets seem to be mobile/AR.   Security and privacy appears
somewhat thought out (we don’t want camera stream or other information like
phone position available to malicious JavaScript).   They mentioned CORS
without spelling it out.

Recommendation: provide alternate “minimal” or “AR” profile as an amendment
to X3D3 or X3D4, if we can match WebKit’s security and privacy.

We could adopt the <source> tag instead of those hairy url attributes.
Adios, MFString?

Inline seems like <model> and <source> for the glTF case.

This is the first time I’ve seen USZ as a potential format for web browser,
I think it normally appears in a helper app?

Animation, while mentioned as a feature to toggle with interactivity did
not see like something to be done with these tags.